Our rookie year is just about in the books – so let’s pat ourselves on the back!! We scoured our Instagram and FB page to collect the “year in photos” below. Before we start blowing kisses, here’s a blatant call out: If you’re a member already, don’t forget to RENEW when you get bombarded by the IMBA postcards and e-minders. If you’re not a member yet, then JOIN ALREADY. Our goal is 100 members by the end of the year!! (We currently have 64 official members, in case you’re curious).
BRIEF HISTORY / SEMBA 101
- August 2015 – Jennifer Girard, Ted Dardzinski, Ingrid Braun, and myself (Alan Jacoby) got together, drank beers, wrote a manifesto, crushed cans, played bike polo, drank more beers, and formed the “Founding Board of SEMBA”. We recently voted in Scott Weaver and Mike Braun, for a total of 7 board members.
- September 2015 – We hosted the California IMBA Summit in Mammoth – met a lot of cool folks, took them on a lot of cool rides, and started our process of becoming an IMBA Chapter.
- October 31, 2015 – We hosted our first ever group ride – the “Halloween Frankenride”. 31 peeps showed up. We dressed up like weirdos, rode bikes, ate brats, drank beer, and Jon Widen won the bike derby contest. The 2nd Annual Frankenride is just a few days away… get your costume ready!! (details on flyer below)
- December 11th, 2015- We officially became an IMBA Chapter
ADVOCACY / TRAIL WORK:
In addition to these photos, SEMBA continually engages in trail work and advocacy in many other ways. Here are some examples:
- Volunteering on trail days in the Alabama Hills and other areas
- Participating in the Inyo Forest Plan Revision – submitting comments on proposed Wilderness areas and every other aspect of the planning process.
- Currently working with the BLM to make cohesive, signed, mountain biking routes in the Tungsten Hills
- Currently working with the Town of Mammoth Lakes / USFS towards implementing the SHARP plan, and building sustainable singletrack connectors to Mammoth Rock Trail and eventually a trail network in the Sherwin Meadows.
- Currently working with TOML on a winter Fat Bike Pilot Program in Shady Rest
- Collaborated with Eastern Sierra Nordic Ski Association, Sierra Responsible Riders, and Friends of the Inyo to submit a proposal to Ed Armenta / US Forest Service to amend the current Forest Order banning fat bikes from public groomed trails.
- Created a Fat Biking on Snow educational presentation and demo day at the Mammoth Winter Recreation Summit.
- Attended the Fat Bike Summit in Jackson, WY
- Attended the Lake Tahoe Bike Summit
RIDES AND EVENTS:
- SEMBA / Sierra Eastside Racing was formed with director Mike Braun at the helm
- Team members competed and represented at numerous events in our region – including the Sierra Cup, US Mountain Bike Nationals, Kamikaze Bike Games, Carson City Off Road, etc
- Race for fun. Race for fitness. Race with friends.
- Super cool XC kits and freeride jerseys
- Learn more, and get involved with the race team – click here
Yes, it’s been a busy rookie year. We are not stopping. We are committed to improving and expanding mountain biking in the Eastern Sierra. See y’all on Oct. 29th at the Halloween Ride 🙂
Get busy living or get busy dying.